W13 Reflection


The material this week correlated social innovation with Christian discipleship. Jesus' mission on earth was to love, serve, lift and teach the humble and meek. Often, they were the poor. The goal of social innovation is the same, and those who work in the field could be considered true disciples, because they emulate Jesus. 

One of the talks we had this week, "Are we not all beggars" by Elder Holland was one of my favorites of that conference. I love the obvious love with which he speaks. He gives an example of charity with his memory of President Monson shuffling through the airport on a return trip from war torn Germany in his house slippers, because he had given away his shoes, along with his extra clothes for the trip. This struck a memory in me, of my husband giving away his winter gloves on an icy December evening to a homeless man who was taking momentary shelter in the store we were leaving. We had left already, and were driving away when my husband suddenly turned the car around and went back. When I questioned what he'd gone back in for he told me "I can go buy another pair of gloves. He can't." What an example of discipleship he demonstrated to me and our son. 
  • Reflect on your future social innovation goals and The Gospel
    • Charity has never been something that is difficult for me, it comes easily, and I always look for ways to help lift or support others. This is one reason that I decided to study Public Health in the first place. One of my goals with my degree is to reduce health disparities. They exist for so many, due to systemic cultural problems, it is my hope and desire to work in a field that will assist in making progress among the marginalized and underserved populations in my community. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W04 Reflection